Heh, back in December 2005 I wrote this blog post (lightly edited):
Here's a quick list of items I need to sell. It all works.
- Panasonic TV: TC-21PM50Z
- Panasonic DVD and CD player: DVD-S35
- Panasonic VCR: NV-HD630
- iPod: 3rd generation, 30Gb. Includes whatever came in the box with it.
- Belkin Media Reader for iPod
- Laser printer: Apple LaserWriter 16/600 — ethernet and postscript
- Videos: Babylon 5 TV series: full set of all 5 seasons
- Handspring Visor: Edge, blue
- Handspring Visor: Deluxe
I started my small-screen reading on the Visor Edge. It displayed a dozen words per page, but even back then I didn't want to read books on paper any more.
I have a clear memory of being in American Samoa for the weekend in around 2001 — I was working in (Western) Samoa for a week or so at the time. I was reading a book on the Edge at night in my hotel room.
Just look at the stuff on that list: old-style TV, DVD, VHS. We haven't had a TV in the house for well more than a decade; I haven't had a printer for a decade or more either. I upgraded from iPod to iPhone and iPad. How my life has moved on.